Friday, August 04, 2006

Announcing the Winners . . .

Here goes: the winners of the 1st annual (biannual? centennial? millenial?) Triolet Contest!

*drum roll*

First Place: Furor with his trio of triolets

Second Place: Kevin O'Brien with "Have Mercy on Me, Lord, a Sinner"

Third Place: Dr. Thursday with "I Left My Verse Out in the Sun"

The Prizes:

Dr. Thursday gets 2 rosaries.

Kevin O'Brien gets 1 Mass.

Furor gets 2 Masses, prayers for his intentions at St. Peter's Basilica when I go there in less than a month, and a link on my sidebar. It's the blue ribbon.

Congratulations! And thanks to all who participated. Keep writing triolets -- because Chesterton wasn't the only one who can write them. Maybe some of you could try submitting your poems to Gilbert! I don't know if they'd print them, but they might, especially if they hold their own triolet contest. I really think they should.

7 comments:

Sheila said...

Or rather, it's going to be a blue ribbon, when I can make the computer cooperate. Sorry about the delay.

Anonymous said...

Yes yes, let us all send triolets to Gilbert!!

I'm sure they would be well recieved.

Sean P. Dailey said...

I still have no idea what a Triloet is, but I can pitch the idea of running them in the magazine to Dale, if you wish. Is it a verse form invented by Chesterton? Or did he merely popularize a verse form that already existed?


ps. Going to Rome? Please pray for all of us in Chestertondom! I have to admit that I am jealous. I was in Rome four years ago for the canonization of St. Josemaria Escriva, and it was truly a life-changing experience.

Sheila said...

I don't know if Chesterton invented the triolet. I don't think so, but I haven't found any pre-Chesterton triolets to prove it.

To find out more about triolets, you could read the post starting this contest.

Yes, I'm very excited about Rome. I will pray for all of you, of course. And look for my pictures and notes on this blog, starting at the end of this month or the beginning of September.

Nick Milne said...

*Basks in glory*

Thank you for your kindness, Sheila, and to all who voted for me. When you're at St. Peter's, be sure to pray for the cessation of the envy I feel with regards to you being at St. Peter's. It's kind of a bitter irony I guess, but as long as you're there...

rhapsody said...

Congratulations to the winners!

Will have to review the rules also-

Thanks for posting:)

Sheila said...

Hopefully you'll get a chance to go there later on, Furor. I think every Catholic should go to Rome at least once in a lifetime. My poor mother lived there as an Episcopalian, and now she's Catholic she can't get a chance to go: bitter irony.

And congratulations on winning. My mom was very happy you won, because she thought yours was far and away the best. Thought I'd pass that on. I was a bit embarrassed by it, myself, because it had reference to me descending in tears and crying. I wouldn't do that for lack of your triolets . . . at least not in public. ;) It was awfully good.