Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Lucy

by William Wordsworth

A slumber did my spirit seal;
I had no human fears:
She seem'd a thing that could not feel
The touch of earthly years.

No motion has she now, no force;
She neither hears nor sees;
Roll'd round in earth's diurnal course,
With rocks, and stones, and trees.

* * *

For St. Valentine's Day. Here at Christendom it's been a tad disappointing, so I guess that's why I did a sad poem.

It just reminds me of the way we take people for granted until they're gone. We always imagine the other person will always be there when we want them, but before we know it, they're gone, and we wonder if we were there for them as much as we should have been. I'm not sure that's exactly what Wordsworth meant, but it's certainly a truth: if we knew the hour of our friends' departing, we might have held them more dearly to our hearts.

2 comments:

Santiago said...

:(

Sheila said...

It's just that most of the fun things we used to do here for Valentine's Day have all been cancelled and it's turning into a "couple's day," which I loathe. >:( I had an okay day, but I missed all the fun we used to have.